Log in if you have an account
Having an account with us will allow you to check out faster in the future, store multiple addresses, view and track your orders in your account, and more.Create an account
Kegel Exercise: How and Why
Kegel exercises are one of the most efficient ways to increase your sexual pleasure and female sexual health. This is the Groove guide to HOW and WHY we are so passionate about Kegels, we have a whole corner of the store at Groove devoted to them. The myth about Kegel exercises is that they are just for older women looking to improve vaginal tightness and elasticity. The truth is that Kegel exercises help anyone at any stage of life.
Some women looking to improve vaginal tightness may often reach for tightening creams. These creams frequently contain alum and function by drying out the vulva and vaginal walls, which can cause tears while giving the temporary illusion of tightness. We do not sell those creams at Groove because they are unsafe. For a woman looking to feel tighter or increase her vaginal sensation, we recommend Kegel exercises because they offer healthy, painless, and more permanent results.
Kegels are named after Dr. Arnold Kegel, an American gynecologist who published an article in 1948 describing the exercise as a non-surgical method of strengthening the pelvic floor muscles to help with incontinence issues following childbirth. He explained that by exercising the pubococcygeus muscles (PC muscles) of the pelvic floor, women can reduce their likelihood of experiencing bladder issues post-childbirth. Today women and men apply Kegel exercises to improve many aspects of their overall reproductive and sexual health.
(Yes, men can exercise their pubococcygeus muscles too. More on that another time...)
HOW DO I PERFORM KEGEL EXERCISES?
The most effective way to describe the Kegel maneuver is like stopping pee midstream. Okay, so maybe that sounds a little unsexy…but keep reading! So imagine you’re stopping midstream and feel those pelvic floor muscles flex. That’s exactly what you’re going for with Kegels. A lot of the time it’s easier to find these muscles while lying down, but you can do Kegels in any position. (Make sure you don’t get in the habit of doing Kegels while urinating. That can lead to only partially emptying your bladder, which can lead to painful UTIs. No Buenos!)
Once you’ve identified those PC muscles, pick your toy! Most Kegel toys for women are shaped like orbs or eggs and are often attached to a string or loop for easy removal. The general rule is, the lighter and bigger the toy, the easier it will be to hold. The heavier and smaller the balls are, the more you’ll have to work those muscles to keep the balls inside your vagina. Some Kegel balls come in sets of various sizes and weights so you can up the difficulty as your PC muscles get stronger.
- Prep your toy with your favorite lubricant and insert the Kegel ball into your vaginal opening.
- When you’re doing your Kegels, make sure you relax all your other muscles so you are getting the best exercise possible. Keep your focus by breathing freely while you exercise.
- Squeeze the Kegel toy by using the same muscles you would use to stop your stream of urine. As a beginner you will use a Kegel toy that is large and light. It should not be difficult to hold in place and is simply providing something for your PC muscles to grasp.
- Practice keeping the ball in with just the Kegel maneuver. Intially squeeze and hold for five seconds, then relax for ten seconds. Repeat that five to ten times per session and perform two or three sessions per day.
- Once you’ve mastered the five-second squeeze it is time to increase duration. Gradually build squeeze durations to 30 seconds or more. Repeat the Kegel squeeze five to ten times per session and perform two or three sessions per day.
- If your toy has a string or loop, you may choose to play tug-of-war with your vagina to to apply an increased level of difficulty. Try to pull the Kegel balls out by tugging the string, then flex your pelvic floor muscles to try and keep them in.
- As your muscles strengthen you will find the larger, lighter kegel toys are not challenging you any longer. You may choose to move on to smaller and heavier toys to further improve the strength of your pelvic floor muscles.
Recall that steamy scene in Fifty Shades where Anastasia is using the silver Kegel balls? (“I flush from the constant movement of the silver balls. They weigh down inside me, massaging me internally and make me needy, needy for sex.”) Try out these stainless steel Kegel balls to get the Fifty Shades experience! Since these are small and heavy, they’ll really workout those pelvic floor muscles you’re been working on.
We also love Jopen’s Stella and Mini Stella Kegel toy sets. They include interchangeable balls with varying weights so you can easily graduate to a more difficult Kegel exercise toys. They are fabricated from silky silicone so they are comfortable, easy to use and easy to clean. They are even dishwasher safe. The Stella II is for beginners and the Mini Stella is for the more advanced user.
Groove highly recommends progessive sets of Kegel toys for women seeking to dramatically improve pelvic muscle strength. The kits typically include three progressive toys for beginner, intermediate and advanced Kegel exercise. The favorite progressive set at Groove is the Inspire Kegel Exercise Set.
Vibrating Kegel exercise toys add an element of pleasure to your Kegel workout. Groove offers a variety of vibrating Kegel toys. The remote-control feature on most vibrating Kegel toys is convenient. It prevents the need to remove the toy once it is in place just to adjust the vibration speed or mode. The remote control feature is great for use with your partner as well.Hand them the remote and give them the power to turn your toy on and turn you on too.
Kegel exercises strengthen your pelvic floor muscles which help increase your vaginal tightness, sensation and lubrication. Kegel exercises will improve overall reproductive and sexual health and help with the challenges of child birth and the recovery. Kegels will improve continence in older women too. Kegels may also increase orgasm duration and intensity. Get in the Groove and check out our Kegel corner or click HERE shop Groove kegel toys online.